Tuesday, December 14, 2010

remove the nuts please

On Monday I rode my motorcycle to work in snow. Actually it was flurries, but that is snow none the less. It was about 34º so it wasn't sticking to the road surfaces which was the reason I was able to ride the bike safely. I've always wanted to ride in the snow (or flurries) because it's so unconventional.
While on my way to work I was in the right lane on Route 100 moving at a fast clip and I passed a large Chevy truck with truck nuts. I thought to myself, Mr. truck nuts you should remove those right now - you just got passed by a motorcycle in the snow.

Working backwards now - on Sunday my dad brought his log splitter to my house so I can get some of the firewood split and stacked to season. I used this log splitter when I was a teenager, and it still runs great today. I was alone at the house and had a few hours of uninterrupted wood processing to look forward to. About ten minutes into the splitting activities I yanked a piece of wood to separate it from the other side that was attached by a few shards of wood fiber. The other side of said piece of wood swung around and slapped me in the side of the head next to my left eye. This knocked me pretty hard and I stumbled around as if Mike Tyson landed a punch. I took off my glasses expecting to find the left lens broken - but thankfully it wasn't. I continued to stumble around with the vision of Smokey from Friday saying, "you got knocked the fuck out!"

I recovered my composure and got back to splitting the wood and thought that the side of my head feels wet. Maybe it's blood - but it's not dripping on the ground, so it's not bad enough to stop working. It was blood as I later found out after the wife got home. She the cut with the lack of a gentle touch that was reminiscent of the school nurse in elementary school. I have a puffy red eye that looks like bad makeup and a stack of split oak now.

No comments:

Post a Comment