Friday, December 3, 2010

Spark

I often wonder how large companies get to be the size they are in their particular market place. In many cases the big companies are the very worst to deal with, make an inferior product, et cetera. Microsoft comes to mind with their glitchy software, but it's easy to figure out how they got to be huge. Verizon DSL/Cell/Landlines/Fios - ALL with terrible customer service. Comcast. I'm sure you can think of a few names too. This entry isn't going to be complaining - the opposite in fact.

Today I had a great small company experience. Last week I took my sweet Subaru (with 188k miles) to Foreign Auto Experts in Elkridge, MD. I started the car right after the Thanksgiving holiday and it was running really rough - like a piston wasn't firing, or more correctly a spark plug wasn't firing. The check engine light was flashing, where it normally is just on steady. Drove it up and down the driveway and then had my wife follow me to FAE to drop the car off for repair.

We took my wife's car there for a rotor / brake job the week previous and they got the job turned around quickly and didn't change the rear brakes because they said they didn't need to be done yet. Wow, that was really honest from an auto repair shop. Auto repair facilities don't exactly have a reputation for being honest with the public - FAE seems to be the exception to the rule.

I got a call from Brian telling me that it was an error in cylinder three and that he cleared the error in the computer and that the spark plugs look good. He said he took it for a test drive, and then would take it for another test drive to determine if it needed new wires because the problem occurred again. No such luck, problem went away when he reconnected the wires - maybe a bad connection?

I went to pickup the car today at lunch and was handed the key and told - no charge, nothing wrong with it. WHAT? No charge, not even a shop "fee" or clearing the check engine light error with your computer? No test ride fee? This is why I keep coming back for service at Foreign Auto Experts. If only small businesses like this could be the model that other businesses look up to. It's not the point of giving services and time away for free because I'm a repeat customer, and even more loyalty was won for a cheap price. From looking around the net seeing what other people have to say about them they have a loyal following due to their honest work ethics. Good for them, and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment