Friday, December 31, 2010

Half Measures

On the last work day of the year I was happy to see six of the twelve Studio Beams sell and ship to Indiana. I have had our twelve Studio Beams listed for sale at what I consider a LOW price for about two years. I listed them on GearSource.com about the time that PRG and the rest of NY was dumping their Studio Beams because Mac 2k Wash took over the wash category. I was a little late on pulling the trigger on the sale and didn't feel that lowering my price drastically was justified because the gear was making fair money in Baltimore. The thinking goes something like this - Sell now if that fixture won't make that much money in the next 18 - 24 months. So, I just sold six perfectly good fixtures for $925 each because it is doubtful that the 7th - 12th fixtures would go out enough in the next two years to all earn $1000. Other things to consider is shelf space, potential repair costs, and mostly - are people really asking for that particular piece of equipment.

When payment comes in from the sale I will be faced with the next choice - what to purchase to replace the equipment? It can be six LED Impressions at about $3k each, or Mac 700 Wash at $5500 each, 2k XB Wash at $7500? each. Just how much am I looking to invest for the replacement / update? Not really worried about the cost because constant investment is required to grow a business, any business.

So the year ends on a high note. Profitable year, bought and sold a house, bought a motorcycle that I love and rode many miles, and got a long wanted arcade game. That's pretty good in my opinion. I hope you had a good year too.

1 comment:

  1. Well, here's a vote for MAC700 Wash - that fixture is a workhorse, fairly rider-friendly and not as 'niche' a market as the Impressions. (Which, as great as they are for an LED fixture, are now just one player in a crowded market with no really clear leader....) The 2K XB's are great fixtures as well - but larger, heavier and more power-hungry, and therefore more specialized....

    ReplyDelete