Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Before we start again

As the end of the year rapidly approaches things wind down at work and home for me. Christmas now isn't what it was when I was a kid, but I certainly enjoy the time off from work. It always seems like the days off are shorter than they should be and I'm back at my desk. This time of year works slows practically to a halt and I have time to myself.

I have been thinking about getting a Twitter account, but haven't pulled the trigger just yet. I always feel like I should blog more, but don't have the topicality on hand - and readers / or lack there of don't want to hear constant updates on Donkey Kong high scores. Maybe Twitter is for me - tiny blogs.

So, while clicking around on Twitter I looked for some bands that I like to see if they actually use the new craze. (I guess it's not so new, but kinda new to me)
I found Faith No More's tour ended on December 5th in Chile and that was it for now. Only 8 US dates on that tour and 5 were in California, mostly European festivals. Megadeth had a lot of postings and there was even a Christmas Card contest. They are certainly trying to stay close with their fans.



the note on the nuclear missile reads "Don't open before judgment day"

I have spent a good deal of time at work fooling with the end of year accounting to make sure all profit is spent as planned in order to avoid paying excessive income taxes. Paying taxes isn't a bad thing, it indicates that it was a good year and you were profitable - which is especially fortunate in a struggling economy like 2009 and 2010. We have always been profitable so it's just a mater of degree, but end of year accounting does require proper planning, I can't just spend on whatever. As an added challenge most of the vendors that I purchase from shut down on 12/24 and don't reopen until the Monday after New Years. Not a problem, I got it covered and purchased equipment that was needed and offset the profit as planned. I'm still paying taxes, but that was my plan.

Right now I have two screens active on my desk. This blog is the right screen, and the left screen is a stock ticker showing active trades of USG Corporation. They are the company that makes Sheetrock and the joint compound called "mud" by the construction guys. I bought USG on 11/14/06 because new home building was gangbusters and Warren Buffet was buying into the company. The ticker is sitting at 16.74 for the last 5 minutes with my limit trade set for 16.75. I purchased the shares for $50.40 each. Selling off this stock is a quick way to work down that profit / tax situation by taking the paper loss on the chin before the end of the year. The only stock I've picked the last few years that has never let me down is Philip Morris, because you can count on the smokers - they will stand out in the cold and rain to send the dividend payments. Exxon is the runner up for similar reasons.

I hope you all had a great 2010, I feel pretty good about my year and think 2011 will be just as good or better.

No comments:

Post a Comment