Monday, August 23, 2010

President / CEO / Truck Driver

We did lighting for Mixfest last night and a few of the bands were Hanson, Backstreet Boys, and Train. It was a festival show with several bands, sound check, band gear, and tour buses. Lighting and audio production loaded in the day before to allow for several bands to sound check without lighting getting in the way on the stage. The day went incredibly smooth and the show started on time with all of the bands starting their sets on time. The load out was slow for lighting because it was a lot of lighting gear, but I have nothing to complain about because Showtime Sound had two 26' trucks vs. our single truck. Lighting looked really good and the audio was thumping which was necessary to overpower the screaming crowd - it was LOUD in the 99% sold out venue.

One of the benefits of being a company owner is the glory of being the truck driver. I had the distinguished honor of driving last night. Normally driving from Baltimore to our warehouse by BWI is a fairly simple task... not so last night. I was tired from a long day *out* of the office. I drove the normal route with minimal traffic after midnight on a Sunday night. I was moving right along and realized BWI, brakes, brakes, brakes. Um, I can't drive this to baggage pickup, the airport police don't like that sort of thing I'm sure. I've never seen a 26' box truck at the airport drop off or pickup, just short buses. Quick, think, what to do. Authorized Vehicles only, go to the security person and explain the error and request the method to not get police attention.

I slowly approached the secured gate thinking, it's 1:00 in the morning in a plain white box truck, nothing suspicious about this, no reason for alarm. Either this happens all the time, or it's really not a big deal. After explaining that I'm not lost, just tired the guy said - just drive "downstairs" around the airport. Don't drive upstairs!

Okay, I backed down the secured gate ramp and drove toward the airport arrivals. OH NO - clearance 13'-0". The truck is new, how tall is it? If I rip the roof off of the new company truck the second day we own it I'll never hear the end of it AND it would be quite expensive. Drive really slow, that makes you shorter. I guess I was 12'-something because I didn't scrape. So, you can drive an unmarked box truck through Arrivals without the police taking note - seems like a security problem but I'm happy to not get questioned.

I got back to the shop and was questioned as to where I was for the last 30 minutes. Oh, just driving the truck around the airport to check things out on a Sunday night. Maybe I should retire the truck driver job description?

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the time I made a delivery to the Hilton downtown on a 24' truck and pulled up in front to be quick, instead of driving around back.

    I realized they had an overhanging awning as I ripped it apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughed out loud reading this. Literally. That being said, I'm a little disappointed in the security at the airport considering what I do to earn a paycheck.

    ReplyDelete