Monday, January 10, 2011

Three days

MONDAY-
The Maryland auditor showed up on time at 9:30. I had all of the documents printed and organized per the audit letter as to speed the process and show compliance. The auditor was friendly and happy to see the documents all ready to review, he asked a few reasonable questions and was on his way. Total time was one hour, 9:30 - 10:30. THAT is why I didn't loose any sleep over this one, nothing to hide, so I wasn't worried. There was a funny moment when he asked what a "Hog Widget" is and why I needed to rent it.

SUNDAY-
In geekier news I spent a good bit of Sunday out of the cold enjoying the arcade. I spent hours playing Donkey Kong and Burgertime. In Donkey Kong I finally got to the 5th level. In Burgertime I got to the 5th or 6th screen. Burgertime is a very difficult game for those of you that don't know (Xbox generation, or just plain forgot).

SATURDAY-
I went to the annual 12th Night party held at Andrew and Caroline's house. The evening was started off by a stop to Cubanos for dinner. The Cuban food and drinks at this restaurant in Silver Spring are simply fantastic. The food and service are top notch and the bar tender knows how to pour a proper drink. No chain restaurant short-pour-glass-full-of-Cool-Aid at this place. Their mojitos are the best I've ever had, but I really haven't had that many, I should have more... If you happen to be near Silver Spring you should really check this place out. Yelp Reviews
Cubanos Restaurant site



After we left the restaurant we drove the 30 minutes to Caroline and Andrews. We got there a little early, before the table full of liquor, beers, and wines were opened. Andrew could get a job at Cubanos due to his heavy pouring hand. There was food here and there through the house with lots of choices. I saw the deviled eggs, and made a mental note to get some, but I must have gotten distracted. I enjoyed a strong cocktail called a Tipperary containing chartreuse (like the color). Make sure you get at least one ice cube in the glass, more if you have the option. I only had one Tipperary before switching to "lighter" drinks for the rest of the evening. I should mention that I was not driving during the evening of many drinks. Anyhow, the party was a good time as expected. It got crowded, met a few cool people, good conversation, and most surprisingly there was no football or sports talk of any kind. I didn't even see people fooling with their phones. I must have been in an alternate universe. I love their parties.

3 comments:

  1. How the heck did you get audited again? Were they so upset they didn't get you last year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The auditor explained that my company is classified in the same category as construction lighting companies, therefore there is much more of an unemployment / subcontractor / 1099 issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun fact:the color chartreuse is actually named after the drink and not the other way around as one might expect.

    ReplyDelete