Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Miles

Last week my sweet Subaru Impreza wagon hit 190k miles. A few days later I passed 16k miles on my BMW 1200GS. Both mileages aren't too impressive and I'm sure everyone can say "I know blah blah who got 295k on their skateboard, or 10-speed, or whatever". But, it's a big deal to me. Well, the motorcycle really isn't impressive AT ALL, but consider this - if you look for used motorcycles, most have well under 10k on the odometer, and when I was helping a family member shop, we saw bikes for sale Used with less than 1000 miles on the dial. So, keep everything in perspective.

Since it's slowly getting warm(er) here in Maryland I will be driving the motorcycle much more often and the Subaru will be used about once a week again. I spent the money to get "heated gear" so I could drive the motorcycle through the Winter, and it was effective at keeping me warm. I wore full heated gear today on the ride in which was 39°, so it wasn't really that bad. I did ride in the 20's this Winter, but I wouldn't be comfortable on an hour ride, my 30 minutes was just fine.

My plan is to get 25k on the bike before 199k on the Subaru. It could happen due to natural causes, but I think the Subaru is good at least through 200k. I'll post a follow up to this post as I get pretty excited about how many years and miles I've had the Subaru.

1 comment:

  1. Subarus are fabulous. I have a major Outback crush. :)

    ReplyDelete