Saturday, June 26, 2010

Double Air Bag Deployment

This was a big week for me. On Friday, 6/25/10 my house went on the market. Now I'm living ONE mile from work, but it's time to move to a nicer neighborhood and house, I'll leave it at that. The process of getting ready and paying for new carpet throughout the house, and getting all of the trim painted, and paying to have a few rooms and ceilings painted is stressful and expensive. But, we are now listed so the hard part is over?

On Wednesday, 6/23 I put a down payment on a 26' Freightliner M2 box truck (for the company obviously). The delivery date for the truck is four to five weeks from now due to the customizations to the truck. We are having the box painted to match the dark silver metallic color of the cab. We are switching out the steel lift gate for a larger aluminum self-leveling lift gate. Lastly we are extending the wheelbase and frame to properly fit the 26' box vs. the 24' box that is currently on the truck. All of the changes are adding up to the four to five week delivery time, but we'll have the truck in time for September when things get very busy again.

In getting prepared for the arrival of the truck we applied and were issued a US DOT number this week. That is the number you see on the doors of all large trucks on the roads that clearly identifies the company that owns the truck. I figured the application process would be slow and difficult but it took about four days, I was impressed.

On Tuesday, 6/22 I was a passenger in car crash this week. Yellow light, Honda accord in front of us hit the brakes, the driver of the car I was in hit the gas to make it through the yellow light and the collision occurred about two seconds later. Both air bags deployed on impact but thankfully nobody was seriously injured. Luckily enough we didn't make known contact with the airbags because my nose and/or glasses were not broken. The driver of the car I was in wasn't injured at all, but I had some cuts on my left leg from where the airbag hatch opened, and my pinky finger on my right hand was jammed on something and five days later is still swollen and sore. The driver of the Honda wasn't injured and was pretty relaxed considering the rear bumper and muffler of his car were messed up. The driver of the car I was in was pretty down about the incident because his car was totaled, and I did my best to push the fact that this was a best case accident - nobody was hurt, the totaled car has 201k miles on the odometer, the tires needed to be replaced, and the driver you hit wasn't a crazed madman at the accident site. Sure, it is never pleasant to be involved in an accident (especially with an injured Pinky!), but things could always be worse, you could have hit a new Mercedes or a dump truck.

When I rode my motorcycle home after work after the car crash I was a bit extra on edge regarding the cars around me. I couldn't help but to think about what an impact from a car or truck would be like on a motorcycle. I guess it would be as fast as the airbags deploying - BOOM, what just happened? I hope to never find out.





No comments:

Post a Comment